This report by the National Academies examining the externalized/societal costs of energy production was originally requested by Congress in the 2005 Energy Bill. It offers the most thorough attempt I have seen to try to quantify the costs we incur in addition to the price we pay for energy (I have written extensively on the topic of externalized/socialized costs in my Framework Series article on the topic of Market Failure. One key takeaway: looking only at the non-global warming costs of electricity production from coal, society pays 3.2 cents per kWh in hidden costs in addition to the price we pay on our … Continue reading this post
- Beautiful Disaster – The Republican Hoax of the Texas Miracle | Progress Texas
- This is what the legacy of ‘white privilege’ looks like in Bill O’Reilly’s hometown – The Washington Post
- GOP governor implements GOP economics, disaster ensues – The Washington Post
- Fracking the Eagle Ford Shale: Big Oil & Bad Air on the Texas Prairie | InsideClimate News
- Fareed Zakaria: The party of gridlock – The Washington Post
- Letter to EPA Supporting Carbon Emission Standards
- GOP Obamacare sabotage works
- How the world is failing at its climate goals, in one giant chart
- 2009 article reminds us that health insurance costs were rising far more than inflation before Obamacare
TagsArithmetic background checks Bill Clinton bipartisan Bush tax cuts climate change Congress debt Deductions deficit drought economics Election energy environment externalities fiscal cliff fossils funny global warming GOP gun control guns healthcare Hispanic immigration infrastructure Jobs market failure nuclear Obama Obamacare obstruction Plan pollution PTC R&D renewables Romney single payer Spending subsidies Tax Tax Cuts Taxes
- What can we expect from re-opening HealthCare.gov? Hope.
- The Rising Crisis of Underinsurance: How the Biden Administration May Shape Inequities in Patient Affordability
- How Genomics Improve Cancer Survival and Patient Quality of Life: The Healthcare Triage Podcast
- The End of Surprise Billing for Medical Care?
- Drug Prices by Committee: One Way Biden Could Lower Costs
- Recent publications from Boston University’s Department of Health Law, Policy and Management: February 2021 Edition
- Out-of-network payments in Medicare Advantage
- Cancer Journal: What is health?
- Should You Worry About Covid Vaccine Side Effects?
- U.S. should prepare for a COVID-19 hospital consolidation surge